Friday, April 25, 2014

Basketball and Cheerleading Seniors

My children go to a fairly small school.  For those into sports, they are a 3A school.  I started taking quite a few pictures near the end of the basketball season with the hope of doing something special for the seniors.   The bad thing was I did not start working on the project until about a week before the basketball banquet. I had not printed any pictures nor had I sorted any of the pictures.  Well... crazy me, decided to jump in and see what I could get accomplished.  Because I know most of the seniors and a majority of them live in the same community that I lived in, I knew that if I did not get time to finish the project before the banquet, I woul be ok, because I could give it to them later.  Luckily, I was able to complete all of the books and even got a 12x12 album completed for the coach. 
For ease of assembly, I decided to use one of the projects from Kathy Orta's book, Interactive Scrapbooks.  I picked the flipped out project, mostly because I had already cut out many of the chipboard pieces needed to complete the projects.  We had 6 Varsity Boy players, 4 Varsity Girl players, and 2 Varsity Cheerleader.  I only had to do 11 books because one of the cheerleaders also played basketball.   I also did another book, based on Kathy's book, but done
in my own way, for a young man that headed the student cheer section.

Here is a picture of the 11 player books.
Here is the book for the Student Section Leader:
Here is a basic overview of the books for the young ladies.  I added a bit of glitter to theirs,  more on some than the others.  I tried to make each one a little unique. I purchased the paw print paper from Hobby Lobby, and I printed our school paper on  my wide format printer.  :

Here is a picture of one of my sons' book.  I tried not to make the young men's books too girly.  Inide is a cascade of photos.  So some got as many as 15 pictures in their books.  Most of the photos were of the individual player, but I also included some team photos from over the years.  Some of these guys have been playing basketball together since the 3rd grade.

I also made a book for the coach.  I made it a traditional 12x12 book. I forgot to take pictures of the pages before I put it them in the book, so I just snapped a few pictures of it at the event. here are first and last pages in the Coach's book.  Sorry for the glare:


Thursday, April 3, 2014

Desktop Storage

While in the process of clearing my table off I decided to create some type of table top storage.  This is what I came up with:
The storage unit is made up of individual boxes thar were then attached to each other.  I did stagger some so i could see what type of punch they were.  On those I sraggered I did attach a piece of chipboard on the back and sides to help it stand up and to add additional support.  I also wanted my Martha Stewart score board to be readily available.  I just added a bigger box to the back.
Here is how I created the boxes.
First I decided to figure out how big the box needed to be by measuring the tool.  I measured the width, the height, and the depth.  The height is based on how high up the tool you want the box to go .

I then cut my chipboard accordingly. In the case of this tool I cut my chipboard the following  size:
5"x5" - cut two for front and back.
1 1/2" x 5" - cut two for sides
1 1/2"x5" - cut one for bottom
I listed the bottom separately because it   is not always the same size as the sides.  I lined the pieces up  in the following orser.
I then used construction strips to attach them.   The strips are 1" wide and scored down the middle.  Then add score tape to each half but  do not cover score line.
See picture below with sides and bottom attached.
Then connect to form a box then attach bottom.

Please look at the tutorial for the tissue box to get some pointers on using construction strips to construct boxes.  
After box is constructed make sure the tool fits in the box before attaching it to other boxes.  

I made sure my tool fit in the box both ways.
I then added adhesive to the side I was connecting.
I then added it.

I then added paper and ta da...I am done.